Friday, September 11, 2009

Where were you eight years ago today?

It is impossible for me to blog about anything else but today, the 8th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks that changed our country forever.

How can you not remember where you were the exact moment you got word as to what had happened?

I was standing outside my oldest son's preschool room holding my 1-1/2 month old when a parent mentioned that a "small" plane had crashed into the World Trade Center. It wasn't until I got in my car and turned on the radio that the actual horror of what was happening began to unfold.

My husband at the time was attending an Army Conference in New Orleans with a number of high-ranking Army officials, and after hearing about plane upon plane I remember fearing that city might be a target as well. My brother, a lawyer, worked in Manhattan, and I was unable to get ahold of him until late that night. Luckily, he was in a courthouse in Philadelphia at the time.

The whole day was surreal - not knowing where to go or what to do, I went to my mom and dad's house. I remember my mom opening the door and hugging me. Later that day, I went for a walk with my son, and the skies were eerily quiet. The evening was spent huddled with friends; no one wanted to be alone.

Eight years ago today lives ended. Lives changed. This country changed. Do you remember?

I will never forget.

We should never forget.

Click on the link below to see a moving tribute to those who lost their lives or lost loved ones on September 11, 2001.

September 11 Tribute Video

1 comment:

  1. Great points, Amy.
    I am sad that in the past 8 years, the political parties still focus so much energy arguing and pointing fingers across the aisles.
    The weeks after 9/11/01, our country worked together - Left, Right, Bipartisan. It was about America not Democrats, Republicans, Congress, The House... It's tragic that they can't all get over it and continue to work together.
    Of everyone, our government leaders need to REMEMBER 9-11 the most.

    ReplyDelete

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.