Saturday, October 3, 2009

Moms can't get sick, can they?

I rarely get sick. Rarely. But when I do, I feel pukier than a dog with motion sickness riding in a gyroscope.

This one came on from out of nowhere. I was feeling fine - OK, well, not GREAT, but FINE. Yesterday turned out to be unexpectedly stressful, and as the hours wore on, I found myself feeling punkier and punkier. Then the sneezing began. Then the throat started itching. My nose was like one of those drippy faucets you just can't quite turn off all the way. And I swear I can hear my heart beating in my ears.

By last night, I sent the boys to bed without showers - I'm not even sure what they had for dinner - and tried to will sleep to come. This is one of those times when I'm glad I'm single - because no man would have been able to appreciate the sniveling, snoring, coughing mess he would have had next to him last night. This morning, my youngest came in to ask me some insane question like, "Can I have breakfast?" and I just pulled the covers over my head.

Thank God the weather outside today mirrors my condition. So far today the boys have built a fort, played Legos, watched movies and are now playing a throwing/catching game with some sort of hard object between the downstairs and the upstairs, which I feel I may have to intervene in pretty quickly here.

That is one thing that sucks about times like this - I still have to be a mom and I still have things to do. At some point, I'm going to have to step up, suck it up and figure out how to make the most of this weekend with my boys. Part of me is willing myself to feel better so I can enjoy this time with them; the other part of me wishes someone would ring my doorbell with a vat of chicken noodle soup and trade it for my kids for a few hours.

Either way, I'll get through it. There's nothing I HAVE to do today, thankfully, that can't wait one or two more days. And I know that the more I rest now, the quicker I'll feel better. Until then, I'm just going to lie here with my box of Kleenex and my cold medicine and hope that the macaroni 'n cheese fairy shows up soon to make the boys lunch.

1 comment:

  1. I love being single whenever I go to bed disgusting - and I always wake up and panic and look next to me to make sure being single wasn't just a dream!! You go Super Mom - you know I'm here if you need anything!!

    ReplyDelete

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.