Monday, November 23, 2009

Quitcherbitchin!

The mayor of Galesburg has the right idea.

Mayor Sal Garza and the Galesburg City Council have designated this Wednesday as "No Complaint Day."

In addition to helping the city foster positive feelings about the future of their economic development, he says the day is mainly designed to help residents reflect on the good things in their lives, such as friends and family.

We could all benefit from a "no complaint day".

Really, if you look at it, we have it pretty good. Sure, we all have our challenges that we face each and ever day. And I think there's nothing wrong with taking a little time out every now and then to voice our irritations - something I like to call "having a pity party". But like all great parties, at some point, someone gets drunk and falls in the punch, and then it's over.

A friend of mine has made me see this whole complaining thing in a new light. He works a crazy shift schedule, sometimes 70 hours a week. In addition to that, he's taking college classes to further his career, refinishing his basement, and spending quality time with his two children. I don't know on how many occasions I have said to him, "I don't know how you do it." His response? "I'm lucky. Some people don't have jobs. Some people can't go to school. Some people don't even have a roof over their heads, or kids to spend time with. I'm really very blessed."

I know people who constantly complain about anything and everything. Sometimes, it's my own child who seems to find nothing right with his world. I say to him what I wish I could say to some of these other people: if you don't like what's going on, change it. If you can't change it but want to, then ask for help. But sitting here and moaning and groaning about it isn't going to do anything for you, and is only going to irritate those around you.

Again, a little complaining is fine. It's the whole "misery loves company" aspect of our human nature that makes us feel like we're all in this together. But if we can bond together in our angst, let's team up and do something about it.

This Thanksgiving, amidst everything that may be wrong in your life, take a minute to reflect on what's right. You may be surprised at how blessed you really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.