Monday, December 7, 2009

NaCl = Nearly avoiding all the Cuisine that I love

Sodium is my new enemy.

In order to alleviate a small health issue I am having, I have been placed on a low-sodium diet. When the doctor told me to reduce my salt intake to 2,000 milligrams a day, I thought, "2,000 milligrams? Piece of cake!"

Ah, no cake.

Also, no crackers. No cookies. No chocolate. No chips. No condiments. Pretty much anything starting with the letter "c" I can't have.

Armed with my new laundry list of can- and can't-have foods, I spent an hour and a half at the grocery store, reading labels and searching for any sort of tasty, fulfilling, low-sodium food items that I can put in my piehole.

Whoops. No pie, either.

What I found is quite amazing. Those low-fat soups I thought I was consuming and thinking I was so healthy - more than 800 milligrams of sodium in just ONE CUP. Those Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine cardboard dinners that I've been living on? Chock full of the salty stuff. And that lean turkey lunchmeat? Forget about it. Oozing with the enemy.

Lunch today was a baked potato with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter - spray. I have never "sprayed" my food. But it was tasty - and filling - and salt-free. Dinner will probably be one of these new soups that I bought that were specially labeled "for those with sodium-restricted diets". I'm sure it will taste like water, with a few noodles thrown in for good measure.

I joked with the nurse that asking me to cut out treats three weeks before Christmas is like inviting an alcoholic to a wine tasting. Cruel. But I'll do my best for the next two months and see what happens. I'm thinking if I make it that long, I'll either be very, very healthy or very, very skinny.

In the meantime, in the words of Marie Antoinette, "Let them eat cake!"

Because I can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.