Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Ain't no sunshine when it's gone...

So I'm paraphrasing Bill Withers.

Is it just me, or has it been awhile since we've seen that big, round ball in the sky that provides us with warmth and vital Vitamin D?

It's definitely having an effect on me.

I'm a go-getter. Once I'm up and had my coffee in the morning, I rarely sit down until I lay my head on the pillow at night. If I do sit, I'm typing. And thinking.

But for the last few weeks, it's as if my body and mind have just completely checked out. Laundry piles up. Dishes remain in the sink. The to-do list remains virtually untouched. And I've watched more Lifetime specials than I even care to mention.

I've been here before... and I know it will go away. I know all about depression, Seasonal Affective Disorder, "the blues", whatever you want to call it. I hate it, and I want it to go away.

One thing I have found is that succumbing to it - just for awhile - is OK. Watching football on a Sunday afternoon - not like I usually do when it's just on for background noise while I'm doing something else - but REALLY watching it... lying on the couch with popcorn in hand... IS OK. Giving yourself a day or two to give in to that numb, blah feeling... IS OK.

But then it's time to kick ass and take names.

Here's how I do it:

1) Exercise. Thank God I actually enjoy it. I've been going to the gym nearly every day, no matter how hard it is to get my butt in gear. Once I'm in the car, it's all good. It's just getting there. And how I feel when I'm done is, well, amazing.

2) Get out of the house. When I don't have my kids, it's easy to just lay low and putter. When they are under my roof, I'm more of a shuttle service than anything else. But getting outside is good for all three of us - whether it's admiring their snow fort, taking them ice skating, or just walking around the outdoor mall.

3) Use others as motivators. I have a business to run, and though it's easy to sit here and conduct matters via email and phone, nothing beats having to get gussied up to go to a meeting, a workshop, or a networking event. I say "yes" to all of these.

4) Eat right. I find I crave carbs during these cold, dreary days. Carbs do not love me, nor do they love my body. Best thing is not to have that crap in the house at all. I find that Charms Blow-Pops do the trick in avoiding the junk. At least for 20 minutes or so. By then, I've moved on to something else not food-related.

I know this weather is temporary. I know the days of waking up to the birds singing and feeling that bright sunlight on my face is right around the corner. (OK, maybe not right around the corner, but it's getting closer every day). Until then, I'll keep pressing on until I'm walkin' on sunshine once again.

3 comments:

  1. Two weeks from today is Imbolic.
    You don't have to be a practicing Wiccan to celebrate the return of light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my gosh, Marni. It's like you're speaking in tongues. Must Google.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it will be in my next blog about changing religious beliefs and boundaries... maybe.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.