Friday, February 26, 2010

What is EOF and why do you need it?

For those of you who are my Facebook friends, you may notice that every two weeks I make some cryptic post about "EOF".

Let me explain.

My life is full, and I love it. I am blessed with two wonderful kids, a nice home, great friends and a family that stands behind me every step of the way.

I'm also divorced, and like many single moms, tend to push it to the max, trying to work, keep up a household, and take care of two very energetic boys. My ex gets his time with the boys Every Other Friday. Which means that Every Other Friday, I get a break - an EOF.

It may appear that EOF is when I let loose and go dance on tables somewhere. Not necessarily. Though it could happen. EOF is a chance to decompress; to remind myself that I am "me", and not just a mom. It's a time to reconnect with friends, family and loved ones, whether that be having a few drinks at the local pub, dinner at a nice restaurant, or just hanging out on the couch watching movies with my buddies.

Everyone should have an EOF.

A few days before EOF, I start to get the itch. I'm ready. I've given and given, and often look in the mirror and think random things like, "When was the last time I tweezed my eyebrows? Wow, look at all that gray hair. A little make-up would do you good, Girlfriend." I tend to forget "me" during those two weeks. I'm not complaining. My priority is raising my boys and making a living. But the closer it gets to EOF, the more I look forward to getting back to me for a little bit.

EOF is fun, rejuvenating and completely necessary to my well-being. And as the weekend comes to an end, I am missing my kids and ready for them to come back so we can do it all again.

My point is, we all try to do what is expected of us. We raise kids, we run households, we work, we volunteer, we try to do it all. But in order to do all that to the best of our abilities, we need to make sure we carve away a little time for ourselves - to regroup and remember who we are without all of those forces that try to define us. It can be an EOF, it can be a Saturday afternoon, it can be a Tuesday evening. It doesn't matter. It's important. So do it.

Happy EOF, Everyone!

1 comment:

  1. I told my best friend once that I was jealous of her EOFs... and then I realized what I said and apologized profusely and begged her forgiveness for my callousness and selfishness...

    She understood where I was coming from though. Thankfully. I still felt like an ass though.

    Yes. I said ass. LOL.

    Have fun!! Relax! Enjoy! =)

    ReplyDelete

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.