Thursday, July 1, 2010

God winks: You've had them. So read this because I know you’re dying to find out what they are.

"There is no such thing as chance. And what to us seems merest accident springs from the deepest source of destiny."
-Johann von Schiller

Have you ever been thinking of someone, then in the next moment the phone rings - and it's them? How many times have you said, "If this-and-such hadn't happened, we would have never met." When was the last time you thought, "Well, isn't that a coincidence?"

It's not a coincidence. It's a God wink.

The term "God wink", coined by author SQuire Rushnell, (yes, Mom, the "Q" is capitalized) is defined by him as this: "A personal signal or message, directly from a higher power, usually, but not always, in the form of coincidence."

Think about it. All the events in your life that you dismissed as just coincidences. Maybe it was that inspirational person you met as a child that led you to realize what you wanted to be when you grew up. Maybe it was a difficult move to a new town that resulted in you finding your soul mate. Or a crazy story about how you met your best friend.

We've all had them.

Now I'm not trying to get all preachy-holy-roller on you all. But I do believe in God. And I do believe he does provide. And I do believe he listens. And yes, I do believe he winks. Often. And we need to wake up and take note.

I've always pointed out sunsets to my kids. I tell them that beautiful skies are God's way of saying "hi". And I truly believe that these coincidences - these unexplained twists of fate that occur each and every day in our lives - big and small - are simply little winks from God letting us know that he's got our backs.


In SQuire's book, When God Winks: How the Power of Coincidence Guides Your Life, he says, "Your life is not a series of random experiences taking you like a twig on a moving stream to destinations unknown. You are part of a much greater plan... Learning to identify the coincidental experiences of your life will help you to develop a confident sense of direction and affirmation, that, no matter how often you may think it, you are never alone. Somewhere up above, there is a universal guidance system, and you are on that radar screen."

SQuire discusses and describes God winks that occur in relationships, families, history, the arts, sports and careers. He backs up his theories with true stories from all over the world. Easily, within the first chapter of this book, whether you want to buy into this or not, you start to realize that there are more to God winks - or coincidences - than what meets the eye.

So what do you do with this information? You appreciate it. I told my kids about God winks, and now they find them daily in their own lives. A friend comes by just when they are feeling lonely or bored. A homework answer pops in their head to a problem they were struggling with. The rain stops just before they're ready to go out and play. They start to realize that life is not all about luck - it's about a higher power having a hand in their lives - every day.

God winks have given me the peace that I am on His radar screen. Just yesterday, struggling with the rejected unemployment extension, I received three checks in the mail that I hadn't expected yet. *WINK*

Through a seemingly random series of events, I have connected with "a friend of a friend who know someone who is connected with someone" who has provided me with freelance work. *WINK*

Then there's the short story I recently found that I wrote back in 6th grade about an old man on a park bench, which has striking parallels to a new friend in my life, the man on the corner. *WINK*

They're everywhere. About everything. So look for them. Appreciate them. Listen to them. Because they matter.

And watch the sunsets. You can't help but look up and wink back.

1 comment:

  1. Thinking of a friend and then the phone rings. God winks or ESP - call it whatever - but it does signal a strong spiritual force in the world. I don't believe in "God" in the sense that many people do, but I do believe in spiritual connections to each other and to the world around us.

    Once I was working around my house and was stopped in my tracks by a powerful image in my head of my grandmother throwing a box of baking soda into the air. Later that day I found out her stove caught on fire and she put it out with... baking soda.

    I was floored when I heard this.

    ReplyDelete

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.