Friday, September 17, 2010

The new word is "copymarketing"

When people ask me what I do for a living, I usually tell them, "I'm a copywriter." Needless to say, it's not like saying, "I'm a Russian spy" or "I'm an cowboy". There's never really any follow-up question for my job title.

Many people - more than I really want to admit - mistake copywriting for copyrighting. I tried to clear that up in a blog awhile back called Copywriting vs. copyrighting: expression vs. protection.

After being in business for more than a year, I'm starting to use the term "marketing" more. Invariably the copywriting projects I do involve a fair amount of marketing, which is another ambiguous term to some.

So I'm thinking - why not coin a NEW phrase. One that encompasses copywriting and marketing? I end up having to explain them both, so why not give them a title that prompts them to ask a follow-up question?

Example:
Random Chamber of Commerce Business After Hours Guy: So, what do you do?
Me: I'm a copymarketer.
RCCBAHG: Really? Interesting. What's that?

Aaaaaand my job here is half done.

So what IS a copymarketer? Well, here's the deal. As a copywriter, I write copy in order to help sell, educate or motivate. As a marketer, I promote the copy in order to sell, educate or motivate. You can't write copy without taking into consideration marketing, and you can't have decent marketing without good copy. So why not morph the two? And yes, upon coining this word I did Google it, and it is out there casually. But not officially.

Give it a few years and and maybe you'll see "copymarketer" as one of the new words added to Webster's Dictionary. I think it's gonna catch on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.