Friday, October 1, 2010

If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

I often think of this. I don't know why. But there are definitely times I feel as if I am not using my physical and mental capabilities to their maximum potential (try ALWAYS), and feel that having a superpower in one of those areas would make up for my other gross deficiencies.

So what would I choose? There are so many. Physically, would I pick speed? Perhaps that would alleviate my chronic lateness. I could certainly get more done. But I'm a "stop and smell the roses" kind of gal, so I think I somehow feel I'd be missing out.

What about strength? I suppose this would come in handy when I get the urge to rearrange some furniture and don't want to wait for some big, strong guy to come to my aid. Superhuman vision would be awesome - not necessarily X-ray - there's no need for that, really. But I'm as blind as a bat, and to be able to see clearly would be a definite bonus. And I've often wished I could fly - it seems as if I waste a lot of my day trying to get from Point A to Point B.

Maybe mental superpowers is the way to go. Superhuman intelligence? That would be nice - I feel as if I am pretty smart in some areas (writing), but incredibly stupid in others (math, science, geography, history.....) But I'd hate to be that irritating know-it-all at the party that no one wants to be around. Mind control? Ha - maybe for my kids. But I'm pretty pro-free will, so that may screw with my morals a bit. What about precognition? I'm always wondering what will happen next, but then again, maybe I don't want to know.

So what's it going to be? I think if I had to choose any superpower, I'd pick telepathy. It seems the safest, and most beneficial. It seems these days that a lot of people tell you what you want to hear, and bending the truth - whether it's to avoid hurt feelings or to keep from divulging information - seems to have become the norm. I try to be as honest as I can with people, probably to a fault. I always want to know "the whole story". There's been too many times when I thought I knew someone, only to find out they were thinking something completely different. With telepathy, I'd know if my son really DID brush his teeth. I'd know if that client across the table is considering hiring me for his project. If my boyfriend really does think these pants make my butt look big.

With telepathy, not only could I read their actual thoughts, I could communicate with them without saying a word. How many time have I thought, "I'm not a mind reader!" Yes, the power could be a curse at times, and my kryptonite would definitely be my sensitivity in knowing the truth.

So if I had this superpower, I wouldn't have to ask this question: if you could pick any superpower to possess, what would it be?

1 comment:

  1. I have actually thought about this. I would want the ability to suspend time while I stayed functional. That way I could get everything done that I need to, start time again, and spend quality, relaxed time with my family. The possibilities are endless! - Dee Anne Reimers

    ReplyDelete

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.