Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sex, spaghetti and Sophia Loren

I never really had an opinion about Sophia Loren. I always thought she was kind of a graceful beauty, with long legs and thick lips and large glasses big hair and a pushed-up bosom. And she talked funny.

But I started reading some quotes from her tonight, and am finding that there are some serious insightful thoughts inside that bombshell body of hers.

This one's a hoot: "Sex appeal is fifty percent what you've got and fifty percent what people think you've got." To me, that says that while you may not think you're particularly sexy, or good looking, or graceful, or whatever, that half of you that doubts yourself is being picked up by someone who loves you. It's good to know that someone out there has my back, or at least 50 percent of it.

This one struck me as well: "If you haven't cried, your eyes can't be beautiful."
I get what she's saying here. Those that show that raw emotion are somehow transformed into these beautiful, feeling creatures. However, she obviously has not seen me after I've had a good cry. My eyes look like a sleep-deprived drug addict who forgot to take her contacts out at the end of a long day.

And I've heard this one before, but never realized it was my girl Sophie (how I now refer to her): "When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child." Ain't that the truth. Add another thought for each additional child then throw in an extra for any teenagers in the house. I'm thinking quadruple time... all the time.

Sophia is one of those women who I think made her mistakes, had her success, got her fair share of ogling but still managed to keep her head about her. Her quotes can be quite risque: "Sex is like washing your face - just something you do because you have to. Sex without love is absolutely ridiculous. Sex follows love, it never precedes it." and "A woman's dress should be like a barbed-wire fence: serving its purpose without obstructing the view." You go, Sophie.

Some are downright hilarious: "Spaghetti can be eaten most successfully if you inhale it like a vacuum cleaner." How true.

Yet some are incredibly wise: "After all these years, I am still involved in the process of self-discovery. It's better to explore life and make mistakes than to play it safe. Mistakes are part of the dues one pays for a full life." Looks like I'm exploring life at a pretty good clip.

I'll leave you with this one: "Getting ahead in a difficult profession requires avid faith in yourself. That is why some people with mediocre talent, but with great inner drive, go so much further than people with vastly superior talent."

That's what keeps me going. Thanks to my new quote girl Sophie, for keeping it real when I needed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.