Monday, March 28, 2011

Linking student performance to teacher incentives?


What a great idea! Wait... the results are in:

"I find no evidence that teacher incentives increase student performance, attendance, or graduation, nor do I find any evidence that the incentives change student or teacher behavior. If anything, teacher incentives may decrease student achievement, especially in larger schools."

Suffice it to say that the best teachers are doing it for the love of teaching, not for the money. Which is probably why this little experiment didn't work. And in my opinion, standardized tests are no measure for what good teachers accomplish in the classroom. In fact, they're a detriment to their lesson plans in general.

Read the whole article HERE. It's really quite fascinating.

This just in: Here's an absolutely RIVETING link via my friend Steve Jones. More from who I'm thinking is going to be one of my go-to guys from here on out - Daniel Pink:

No comments:

Post a Comment

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.