Thursday, May 1, 2014

Relay for Life, Remember for Love


Today marks two months since my mom passed away.

I wonder if I'll do this on the first of every month. Six months from now. A year from now. Five years from now.

Probably.

At the end of this month, though, two very important events will happen.

The first one is that some of my family and I will be participating in the Relay for Life - Morton on Saturday, May 31.

Mom's 79th birthday; Dec. 29, 2013







If you're not familiar with Relay For Life (if you're like me, you may not have had a clue unless someone you loved or knew was touched by cancer) it's a walk/run/day to honor cancer survivors, remember loved ones who fought and lost their battle, and to try to raise funds to help stop a disease that continues to ravage those for whom we care.

My mom died of fallopian tube cancer (a rare form of ovarian cancer) on March 1, 2014. She had no family history of cancer. She had two rounds of chemo but the disease overtook her - too soon and without regard for her healthy, active lifestyle. The fact that she is no longer here leaves a huge void in all of us who loved her.

Mom loved to walk. She used to be a runner, but told me once, "I just miss so much when I run. I walk so I can enjoy the world around me."

May 31, 1958
This is when I come to the second important event that will happen in May.  My parents would have celebrated their 56th wedding anniversary on Saturday, May 31, the same day as the Relay for Life.This will be the first May 31 in 56 years that my mom and dad will not be together. Dad will be with us, and I know Mom will be with us in spirit. We will celebrate her life, walking as if she was right beside us, and try to do our tiny little part to help find a cure.

That's why we formed Team Talcott. We'll be there all day  - as many of us as we can get. New to the Relay this year is a GLOW 5K Family Run & Walk. I'm going to shoot for running that as best I can - for Mom. 

Join Team Talcott and walk with us - for 15 minutes, an hour, or all day (it's from 3 to 10 pm.) Or throw in that $20 that's been eating a hole in your pocket so we can reach our $1000 goal. Or dedicate a luminary in honor of or in memory of one of your loved ones who survived or succumbed to cancer.  We'll walk for all of them, I promise. 

Thanks in advance - it means a lot to our family.

If you want to sign up for the GLOW 5K Family Run & Walk - it's at 7 pm at the Apostolic Christian Church in Morton. You can also find them on Facebook here.

You can read Team Talcott's story on our Relay for Life page, but I'll reiterate the end of it here:

"We will walk in memory of our mom, our warrior. We will walk in honor of our dad, our hero, and her primary caregiver. We will walk as a family because that is what she would have wanted. We would be humbled if you would donate to our team in order to help us contribute to the fight against cancer. We would also be honored if you would join Team Talcott and walk with us on May 31."







No comments:

Post a Comment

For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.