“As we age, our stories become the threads that stitch generations together — reminders that a life well-lived is never lost if it is told and heard.”
Life isn’t fair. But no one ever said it would be. However, as I sit here in the hospital with my ailing father, surrounded by other patients around his age in varying states of decline, I am profoundly reminded of that simple fact. Life is just not fair.
As my father has aged, I’ve noticed people talk to him differently. Not as an elder or a peer, but as more of a child.
I’m sure I am guilty of doing that too, back in the day with my grandmas.
| 2x heart attack survivor |
I first noticed this change in tone with my mom, who, after an aneurysm and two brain surgeries plus cancer, slowly became “not all there.” And I understand when someone’s mental and physical state is in decline, the conversation has to be simpler. But I remember at one point looking into my mom’s eyes and I could tell she knew – she knew – how they were talking to her. And I could tell she didn't like it one bit.
Personally, I try to use humor, which my dad has a lot of. He can’t hear worth shit, so the whole hospital floor might hear me yell, “You wanna go raise hell in the halls and flirt with the nurses?” when he’s getting antsy and needs to get up and walk. He seems to respond better to humor and sarcasm (and I am my father’s daughter.) Again, I don’t necessarily fault people who talk to him like a child – I know at times it’s necessary and it’s kind of the default when you’re talking to someone who may not quite be 100% there for whatever reason. It’s just an observation.
I do think though, that sometimes, even often, we unintentionally forget that these humans, living in their battered and war-torn bodies – reflect a LIFETIME of experiences. Adventures. Challenges. Accomplishments. Heartbreak. They’ve seen and done things we can’t even imagine. And as they age, and struggle with technology or have trouble remembering things, we FORGET – WE forget – that THEY are the OGs. THEY are the GOATS. They drive too slowly. Welp, they lived in an age when they didn’t have cars. They have trouble using a mobile phone. Hell, they would call the operator who would patch them through to whomever then needed to talk to. They’re always reminiscing about “the good old days.” Well, now can you blame them????
![]() |
| My grandpa, Reo, and my dad |
And if you do take the time to listen, you’ll realize that the individual in front of you with this aging brain many times has the most amazing memory.
![]() |
| 1st Lt. USAF, 1954. |
My dad still knows his service number from the Air Force back in the 50s. He can rattle it off like his address. Can he tell me his current address? Sometimes. Not often. But that seven-digit number? Ask him anytime, anywhere.
He knows his childhood dog’s name (Brownie) and the calf they kept in the back yard (Senator.) If he notices you’re left-handed, he’ll tell you about the time his teacher repeatedly made him switch to his right hand to write (the Palmer method), and how his mom (my grandma) went to the school to tell her to knock it off, he’s left-handed.
![]() |
| My dad's behind the cow. |
![]() |
| Honeymoon hunk. |
I love hearing how he met my mom at a single’s dance and fell asleep on their first date. That the lullaby he sang to me when I was a baby was, in fact, a fraternity song. (I thought it was about a kitty, but it was about a Kappa Alpha Theta.)
I was lamenting to a dear friend and coworker that what I hated the most about my dad being in the hospital was that no one knew who he REALLY was. Like, there’s so much more to him than they see lying in that bed or chair. SO MUCH MORE. His reply to me was, “Well, tell them.”
So I did.
And in sharing short tidbits about things my dad has seen and done, I feel like those who were caring for him saw him in a new light, a new respect, perhaps. And between his 94 years and their 20 or 30, they found commonalities.
![]() |
| CAT exec |
The nurse who used to work at Caterpillar (my dad was career CAT – 40 years) and listened to him tell stories of how CAT used to be.
Someone who had relatives Shelbyville, where he was born and raised on a farm.
| Restore's unofficial electrician |
So, I’m telling you, as my wise friend told me, “Tell them.” It matters. We all matter, but especially those who have been here much, much longer than us.
P.S. Dad is now home and resting comfortably. He's still funny, sarcastic and extraordinary.







No comments:
Post a Comment
For those of you not commenting directly from a blog, the simplest way to leave a comment is to go to the "Comment as" dropdown menu and select Name/URL. Type in your name and don't worry about the URL.